Monday, June 30, 2008

The Dove

On Dove Street in Ipswich, it's The Dove.



Mmmmm, where do I begin? I think The Dove was my first introduction to proper English ales. And, looking back, of all my first encounters with ales from all over the UK, most of them have taken place here.

The Dove is a haven for beer lovers. It has the best selection I've seen, I think, even in London. The taps change often, and there are a lot of them. If you look at the rafters below, you'll see the names of the beers available.



This is the front room, where the hand pumps are. There's about a dozen taps here. Behind is a tap room with about a dozen more. There's also a large selection of bottled beers, many imported from the Continent.

Off to the right is a smaller room; sometimes I'll duck in there with a newspaper when it's too busy in front to get a seat. Off to the left is the way to the beer garden plus a newly remodeled room.

The Dove is beloved by locals as well as the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA). Beer festivals are held in the garden a few times a year.

I don't visit as often as I used to when we first settled in Ipswich, but when I do it's likely to be a Sunday afternoon. I'll have a chance to catch up on some Saturday papers, and fortify myself for the long uphill walk home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home