Saturday, May 31, 2008

Barcelona: Arrival

Today we returned from a week in Barcelona. We didn't bring Margo's laptop, but I did bring a notepad to write in to make these posts easier on our return. Here are my notes from our first day.

Sunday morning. We are in the air. An EasyJet from London Stansted. Valet parking was smooth but everything else was a queue. We'd paid the bit extra to board early and be in the express line, but it wasn't moving much compared to the others. We were later advised to join a closing queue for our flight. Then the security queue, where Margo's bag was searched extra thoroughly as it had lipstick and other girly stuff. Then the lounge, and then a boarding queue, and then an exit queue, from which we crossed the tarmac in heavy rain. Looking down now, the view is of solid clouds.

Behind us are three hyper boys. They've just ordered jelly beans and hot chocolates.

Margo says I smell of alcohol. Last night a mate and I went to a beer festival at the Dove Street Inn. I don't recall every one I sampled but I did enjoy Adnams Tally Ho racked for three months, an oaked ale at 9%, and a Belgian style ale from nearby Felixstowe at 13.5%. I know there were some goldens mixed in also, but I also ate a lot of food. Oddly, I do remember some of our bike ride home.

Early evening. We had some scary turbulence coming over the Pyrenees and a rough landing. People cheered once we slowed down.

It was raining. We knew it would be from the forecast we'd seen days ago. It will rain for several days, perhaps our entire trip. It wasn't much different than Stansted, just warmer.

We're staying in a one-bedroom flat. Three beds and a kitchen. Two rooms have balconies overlooking a busy boulevard. Trees line the street and the tops reach near our balconies.

On the ride from the airport, our taxi stopped for a light on front of Gaudi's La Pedrera apartment building, so I got some quick snaps. Our flat is just up the street from it, about two blocks.



We were met at the door by Michael, an American who works with the rental agency. He gave us our keys and showed us where everything was in the flat. Then we went out for a late lunch. We were quite tired (we'd woke around 4 in the morning) so we stopped at the first place that looked good - for us, a buffet. We got salads and pastas. Then it was back to the flat for long kips.

Evening. Now we are having dinner in a tapas bar named Tapa Tapa. I suspect it's a chain. But back to my narration.

I didn't really sleep so I went for a walk. From our flat, near the Avinguda Diagonal, I walked to La Ramblas de Catalunya, a long pedestrianised shopping street. On our end there are shops and cafés, but as I kept downhill toward the waterfront, the crowds of tourists (and touristy shops and restaurants) thickened until one could no longer walk quickly.

Now I have to interrupt again because our food just arrived. Margo and I are sharing a small bottle of Tempranillo, a rich red wine. We have cherry tomatoes with walnuts and cheese; breaded cheese croquettes; seafood paella; duck skewer with caramelised pears; and a ham baguette for Sarah. And more! A squash blossom stuffed with mozarella, fried in tempura batter; small Andalucian fishes, breaded; and fries with aoli sauce for Sarah.



Well, back to my stroll. I hadn't intended to walk so far, but I made it all the way to the harbourside. I hadn't brought the camera as it was raining off and on, and I figured I'd be back soon enough with better weather, but I wished I'd brought it at the time.

I was a bit overwhelmed by the city, though it's hard to describe just why. There are lots of pedestrian paths, including a raised walkway along the harbourside above a lane of auto traffic. There's a cable car overhead. It was the first chance I had to see some of the tall office buildings, some of which feature quite interesting architecture. And then there's the unique architectural stylings of the Modernista buildings - that alien-looking combination of tiles and colours and odd, organic bulges and curves.

I walked along the harbourside path to the Via Laietana, eventually cutting over to the Passeig de Gràcia, our flat's street, passing more shops and restaurants and getting a closer look at Gaudí's Pedrera.

OK, time to eat.

Sarah's had a go with the camera. We're ordering dessert next. Sorbets for Sarah, yogurt and caramelised strawberries for Margo, and a "pinya colada" smoothie for me.



I'm getting quite tired now. I said "cheers" to our waiter by mistake. Margo and I have been just getting by with our high school Spanish. We do better than we do in other countries. But when I hear Spanish I only get about every fifth word.

Right. That's as much as I'll get done tonight. Tomorrow I should have time to type up a few more days' worth of notes, with pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home