Thursday, April 03, 2008

My Weekly News Diet

One of the things I enjoy about living in a larger city is having daily newspapers and free weekly papers, creating a weekly diet of things to look forward to.

In Portland, my reading treats started on Wednesdays with the Willamette Weekly, the Portland Mercury on Thursdays, and I always bought the Friday Oregonian with its Arts & Entertainment section. And on Sundays there was the Sunday Oregonian.

These days my diet similarly peaks toward its end. Thursday's Guardian has a Technology section, and I've just recently discovered the Short List, commentaries and, well, lists of useless but interesting stuff, handed out outside Tube stations each Thursday. Friday's Guardian has a Film & Music section. Then there's the Saturday Guardian and the Sunday Times, though on Sunday we may also get the Observer if one of its monthly music or food issues is out. At our corner shop, the Sunday Times is sometimes sold out by the time I arrive, so I sometimes fall back to the Independent or the Telegraph.

Besides this, should I feel like sampling other fare, every morning the Tube exits have people handing out City A.M., mostly financial news, and each evening in the same spots, people are handing out thelondonpaper and London Lite, both composed of a bit of news with celebrity snaps, listings, and sports.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home