Thursday, March 06, 2008

Radio

I tried to listen to the radio on the way to work this morning. I forgot how hard it is.

Radio was one of the things I was looking forward to most in my time in the UK. I'd read about legendary DJs like (the late) John Peel and Terry Wogan and wanted to hear more.

A while back I got an attachment from the Apple Store on Regent Street that adds an FM tuner to my iPod. Unfortunately I'm mostly unable to use it. I can only seem to tune in stations for moments at a time. Even when I'm sitting in my office, right in EC1 London, I can't tune in stations decently.

As I take the train, stations come and go. I can get BBC Suffolk, Ipswich radio, Radio One (hits), Radio Two (a bit more mature and edgier), and when I'm lucky, XFM modern rock (wherhttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gife Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant got started). But it's always momentary.

Margo gets better radio in her car. My tuner's probably not too strong.

But I get the impression that most people listen to digital radio here. Unfortunately the UK implemented their DAB broadcasting with a much lower digital resolution than what's standard for much of the European continent.

In the meantime I keep reading my favourite UK music magazines like Mojo, Q, Uncut and my current favourite to keep up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home