Thursday, June 19, 2008

Counting House

I brought our camera to work today. I wanted to get fresh pictures (with the newer camera, and with mostly sunny weather) of City landmarks like the Gherkin, Tower 42, Lloyds of London, and the Bank of England. With our departure getting closer, I want to capture sights that I want to remember.

While I was walking I decided I'd also start getting pictures of and writing about my favourite pubs, as I've enjoyed many fine meals and drinks and happy times in these places and I want to remember them. So I'm starting a series of posts with the Counting House pub in London.

The pub is on Cornhill Street in the heart of the financial district, just down the street from the Bank of England.



The building used to be a bank itself, and I enjoy the openness of it. I also enjoy the ornate decorations. It's perhaps the classiest pub I frequent.



This is a Fuller's pub, one of many in London. Fuller's London Pride is a complex but common ale, and for me it's a nice default choice if I don't see a more interesting tap. They also have a nice porter in the wintertime and some great seasonals. And though it's rarely on tap (and when it is, it's a big event), most Fuller's pubs offer Golden Pride in bottles - a super-malty, rich, fairly dark ale at (I think) 8.5% ABV, a beer that the late Michael Jackson described as the "Cognac of beers".



They offer a nice plate of nachos, and I've also enjoyed their ploughman's platter - sliced apples, cheeses, and breads. I've also enjoyed their burgers. I've brought workmates here on a few occasions, but have mostly enjoyed it on my Thursday nights out. If I'm alone, I like to sit upstairs and enjoy the ambience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home