Thursday, August 30, 2007

Another Day in Helsinki

We had a late morning. Margo and Sarah let me sleep in since I didn't sleep well. The northern sun was brilliant. We decided to get a light breakfast at the Cafe Kappeli and I took pictures like I promised yesterday. Sarah's in the lower right.



I also got a picture of the Lutheran Cathedral nearby.



We spent a while browsing the stalls in a local market along the waterfront. Sarah bought a Finland flag and wood-beaded bracelet with the five euros Margo gave her. Margo found an etching of the harbour. We passed a fountain with a child sitting on one of its features, so of course Sarah had to also.



Then we boarded the number 3 tram which circles around the city. We got off near the end of our circle to visit the Temppeliaukio Church, carved out of solid rock. This is its exterior context.



The interior, looking back from near the altar.



Margo says the ceiling is a single wound strand of copper, 13 miles in length.



We found a cafe for lunch. Our afternoon has been quite mellow. The weather completely turned, and for a while it was dumping down rain. I took a few strolls. My first took in the Forum shopping centre.

Later I walked around our neighbourhood and then back to the esplanade and found a shopping street I hadn't noticed earlier and walked along it. I spent some time in a Nokia store looking at new phones. Some twist and some unfold and some spring open and they all seem to have really nice displays. There was an interesting marketing concept: each wall had a band of flat panels; once you took a phone out of its cradle, an electronic brochure for the phone would open on the wall in front of you.

We're feeling travel-fatigued so we'll lay low this evening, getting a simple dinner. Tomorrow at noon we take a jet boat to Tallinn; it's an hour and a half journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home