Monday, August 27, 2007

Our First Day in Stockholm

We didn't do much today. We walked to the laundromat that our hotel's concierge recommended, but it was a longer walk than she had indicated. We were able to drop it off and continue our trip.

We found the Drottninggatan shopping street and walked its length. We stopped at a few department stores on the way. I've been looking for dress shirts while in Scandinavia because some colours look better with a fair complexion like mine. I'd be quite happy to find a nice deep blue or burgundy solid shirt. However, most of the high street shops are for a different demographic. The models are in their 20s and the styles are way younger than I could wear to the office. I've found that if I go into a shop and they're playing boom-shee boom-shee music, it's probably not for me. I need to find a shop for balding men with pot bellies. It will probably play polka music.



We crossed to the island of Gamla Stan, the "old town" of Stockholm. The streets are laid out in Medieval paths and are quite narrow. It's a popular tourist area and there are many stores and restaurants waiting for us. It's also home of the Royal Palace, so we walked past its gates first.



We came to a bookstore. Margo found some Pippi Longstocking books for Sarah. I found a dictionary and found how to say "spanking head" in Swedish: "smäll huvud". Then we went to find some lunch.



We had considered seeing the Djurgården park, but we'd done so much walking already that Margo and Sarah decided to return to our room. I got a few more pictures over the afternoon.

This is the Stortorget square in Gamla Stan. The buildings remind me of the style of buildings we saw in central Amsterdam.



I found a Glenfiddich "Warehouse" restaurant that claimed to have the best beer selection in Sweden - 15 craft beers on tap. Ten were Swedish. I tried a porter and liked it. Later that day I found myself in the same neighbourhood and tried a "double IPA". Twice as malty, but twice as hoppy. I can't say I've had anything like it before.

I also got a picture of this; lots of stairs have these rails on them. The rails are for strollers. Brilliant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home