Sunday, August 26, 2007

Kalmar to Stockholm

Today was more a day of travel than of exploration. We had a very lazy morning in Kalmar, snoozing and reading and lounging in our most comfortable hotel until our checkout time of noon. On the way out I took one final picture of Kalmar, including the Kalmar Castle, the only castle we've seen with what looks like double glazing.



We ambled to the train station to await our 13:01 train to Alvesta. After about an hour or so, we had about ten minutes in Alvestra to switch to a train heading to Stockholm. This last leg was a few more hours. We were in business class because the reservations made for us in Copenhagen were faulty; we rescheduled in Malmö but the only remaining seats were in business class. It was also a "quiet coach", a particular challenge for Sarah. To help her out, I used operant conditioning. I took the remainder of my Toblerone chocolate bar and put it on the table, telling Sarah that she could have it all at the end of our journey provided she stayed quiet; for each exception I would eat one piece of chocolate. She stayed quiet the whole trip.

We arrived in Stockholm in early evening. We had dinner at an Italian restaurant around the block (nothing special). Afterward I went for a walk to try to reacquaint myself with the city and get some pictures of Stockholm At Night. These were the better ones. The first two are of the Kulturhuset centre in the Sergels Torg plaza.





This is the City Hall building.



We're looking forward to more exploring tomorrow. But we'll probably have to do some laundry first. I've been cycling through my four polo shirts pretty well. I have a theory that, after a day or so of not wearing something, most of its bacteria dies, so as long as I don't soil a shirt, it'll be OK to wear in a few days. I did wash a load of underpants and socks in the sink back in Oslo. But Margo and Sarah aren't holding up so well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home