Tuesday, August 19, 2008

What We Didn't Do

We're very glad we got to see and experience all that we have, but of course there are things we wanted to do but didn't have time or energy for.

I wanted to see Geneva. (On our train to Italy, we stopped in Switzerland long enough for my mobile to switch providers; I had its flag on our list but took it out later - it wasn't enough of a visit to count.) Sure, there's nothing exceptional about the art, architecture, food or drink. But I could think of a few things worth writing about. Mont Blanc. Nestlé chocolate. The train from Paris probably passes the Large Hadron Collider. The Geneva Convention would be worth a joke or two. My Victorinox luggage is from Switzerland. Swiss Cheese. It's also the source of lots of modern design, including the ubiquitous Helvetica typeface.

I also wanted to see Manchester. Home of some favourite bands like Joy Division/New Order, The Smiths, Elbow, Chemical Brothers, 10cc. Factory Records. I wanted to get a picture of the placard of the apartment building that used to be the Haçienda nightclub. And probably a picture in front of the Salford Lads Club like the one for The Queen Is Dead. Maybe find the headquarters of The Guardian, our favourite paper. But the trains from London are madly expensive and a Friday night-Saturday-Sunday return trip would have been way more than I wanted to spend on just myself.

We had planned to see Cornwall but didn't get round to it. Great dining and the UK's poshest seaside.

We had also wanted to see Cardiff. I wanted to get a picture standing in the spot of the public square that makes you invisible as it's the secret entrance to the Torchwood lab. It's also where the spacetime rift is, you know. That would have made a great postcard.

A friend of Margo's offered us time in a house in the South of France. We talked about going while Sarah was at summer camp. We never worked it out.

I know Margo wanted to see more of Ireland, as well as Eastern Europe and even Northern Africa. Perhaps she will write about that.

Sarah? She regrets not having more time to watch cartoons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home