Thursday, July 31, 2008

Artillery Arms



Another favourite pub. The Artillery Arms has been my favourite pub in London for a while. It was close at my old office and it's still close at our new location.

I explained to a mate why it was my favourite once, so I'll try to remember. It's a Fullers pub, so it has some decent beers. It also has a good menu, including standard pub fare but also some nice sandwiches on granary (whole wheat) bread, and ciabatta sandwiches. For a while, they offered my favourite salad, a chicken Caesar with bacon, and big veg bits like tomato chunks and cucumber slices.

But I like it for other reasons. There's lots of light with the full windows. It looks across from Bunhill Fields, a cemetery containing the remains of Daniel Defoe, William Blake, and John Bunyan, but also many tall trees, giving a very pleasant view. When I'm out with mates, we sit on the ground floor. When I visit alone, like I did today for lunch, I go upstairs. Today I sat by the window you can see upstairs. They also carry the daily Guardian and the Daily Mail, the two opposites of the political spectrum, and some days I'll have read the Guardian on the train, so I'll read the Mail and its Page Three Girls, its alarmist rhetoric and celebrity gossip. It's a nice place for a relaxing lunch, and I go there often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home