Friday, August 11, 2006

Mountains and Valleys

Stuart and Emma, the proprietors of our bed and breakfast, have a 6 year old daughter, Katy, who has become fast friends with Sarah. Yesterday morning after breakfast, Sarah went with Katy to an arts and crafts class. I got an opportunity to explore town and do some hiking.



I thought this was an elegant solution to an interesting problem. Margo tells me that UK law allows anyone to (respectfully) roam through the countryside, so how does one cross fences without requiring gates? The upper ends work as handles as you climb over. I'm guessing the whole thing could be made in minutes with one or two pieces of wood.

Around lunchtime, we went into town and ate some patsys I'd picked up at a bakery earlier. Then we boarded a "Sherpa" bus to Llanberis, travelling through increasingly mountainous territory. Llanberis is the starting point for a touristy train going to the summit of a mountain, but the visibility was poor, and the price would have been substantially more than what we paid to see the top of the Empire State Building, so we passed on that. This is what our buses looked like.



Sarah and I sat on top in the front. It was kind of scary yet fun in a roller-coaster kind of way - all the swaying and bumping of the bus was amplified up top. The mountains are much smaller than we're used to in the Pacific Northwest, but there are no trees, so you can see everything, such as tiny sheep way overhead, or sometimes a human hiker.




When we returned to Betwys-Y-Coed, we split up with Margo hanging out in town and Sarah and I going back to our B & B.



Sarah and Katy reconnected and I took them back into town to have rides at a park.



Then we reconvened for dinner in town, where I finally found an English strong ale. This one was named "Old Speckled Hen" and I enjoyed it but not as much as the Llefe I'd had earlier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home