Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Glasgow to Liverpool

This morning we checked out of our hotel and took a cab to Glasgow's Central Station today. The larger train stations so far have been gorgeous - I think they've all had glass ceilings. Here's a picture of Central. I love the information displays showing trains, destinations, and track numbers - they're huge!



So far we've been riding ScotRail but today we rode our first Virgin train, and it was pretty sweet. It was much quieter inside. Electrical outlets were provided. We'd reserved seats in advance, and above each seat row is an LED display showing the reservation, if there is one - a neat application. And it was fast! I knew it was an express train, but I was getting a bit freaked when it would rock back and forth on corners, wondering with my engineer's brain just how much of a push it would take to derail us.

When we crossed the border into England I started noticing subtle changes but about the only solid change I could mention is that there seems to be a lot more brick construction - much more brick colouring than stone.

We got off the main line and transferred to a train to Liverpool. In comparison, the train was a school bus: no amenities, no comfy seats, not even room for baggage.

Then we hailed a taxi for our next accommodations. Now about the taxis. So far they've all been alike. They look something like the Chrysler PT Cruiser, but are older. And where you'd have two rows of back seats, you have a real backseat plus two rear-facing chairs. The doors auto-lock when the cab moves.

We're staying right on the waterfront in a family-friendly hotel in the Albert Dock. This used to be a dock facility (warehouses and such) owned by Prince Albert. Now the insides are all modern mixed-use development.



And here's me on the Mersey. I was tired. Guess you could say I was Mersey beat. Nyuk nyuk.



And that's a strong wind, not bed head, mind you.

Since I was out for a walk, I also took in the Tate Liverpool since it had been, what, a day since seeing modern art. And it was right there on the waterfront.

Here's a picture showing a bit of the skyline. The construction cranes are for lots of new projects - Liverpool will be the City of Culture in 2008 and will be hosting many Europeans.



Later, Sarah and I went to see The Beatles Story museum. (Funny, I didn't notice museums for other Liverpudlians like Echo & The Bunnymen or Frankie Goes To Hollywood ... maybe they were further downstream?) There were some neat artifacts, like early guitars George used, some drum sticks from Ringo, and perhaps most famously, John's "Imagine" glasses, valued at a million pounds. There were also lots of recreations, like a room in the Abbey Road studios, the Mersey Beat newspaper office, and the Cavern Club.

We just had dinner in the restaurant below. We know it's a bit overpriced and generic, but nobody wanted to walk too far, except me of course, so I'm soon to go off and have a bit of a pub crawl since we haven't seen much of the city besides the docks and we leave tomorrow morning. Cheerio!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home