Sunday, November 04, 2007

Fall Colours, and a Trip to London

Yesterday I went out for the day and brought my camera along. (Margo and Sarah wanted to stay home.)

On the way to my Saturday morning coffee on the Ipswich waterfront, I went through Alexandra Park and got this picture. There was a decent wind, and I could see lots of leaves falling. I got the feeling that these trees would be mostly bare by the end of the day.



London's an easy choice for a day out for me. There's loads to see, and it's free for me as I get a monthly pass for my rail travel.

My first stop in London was the Rough Trade music shop on Brick Lane. There happens to be a Brick Lane movie on current release, which focuses on the immigrant experience in east London.

Next I went southwest to the Knightsbridge neighbourhood. First, I wanted to visit Harrods, since I was too early last time I was there. I walked the mens' department, and started to feel silly after a while as I was dressed casually, so I didn't explore much more.

Next I continued down the road to the Victoria and Albert Museum. It's a museum of textiles: clothing, furniture, interior design. It's one of the few major London museums I haven't seen. I didn't expect to spend much time there, but I did get drawn into a few exhibits: a room on artwork based on maps; collections of design artifacts from recent decades of the 20th century, including trainers, album covers, mobile phones, and portable electronics; and fashion photography.

This is the lobby, dominated by a chandelier which I'm pretty sure is by Dale Chihuly, a bit of Northwest familiarity.



I didn't realise the signifigance until later, but I did, on my way out, ask a V&A security person, with no conscious irony, "Excuse me, could you direct me to the Albert Hall?" I even used dierect instead of deerect. Guess I'm going a bit native ...

I walked the two blocks to Hyde Park and from there, got a good picture of the Hall.



You may have seen that before, but did you know that, across the street, in Hyde Park, there's this monument to Prince Albert? I didn't.



As I walked north through the park toward Oxford Street, the sun came out briefly, allowing me to capture the fall colours in another park that day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home