Sunday, March 11, 2007

Weekends

We've hit a pretty comfortable (and predictable) pattern with our weekends when we're not travelling, which is most of the time.

Saturdays we get up sort of early to get ready for Sarah's swimming class at 9:30. We drive downtown to the Crown Pools. I usually cross the road to get the Saturday Guardian and maybe some coffees. After class, I usually stay downtown and do a bit of walking and browsing on the high streets while Margo and Sarah may go grocery shopping or head home. I'll take the bus or walk home.

If Sarah's been invited to any birthday parties, they'll be on a Saturday for about two hours surrounding noon. In the afternoon, there might be a good family movie on one of the BBC channels, or maybe Sarah and I will kick a football around in the yard in good weather.

On Sundays I'm usually up before the others so I'll walk to the corner shop and get the Sunday Times before it closes at noon. Margo usually makes us pancakes with golden syrup, based on honey instead of maple. Once we're well fed and I've finished washing the dishes, we gear up for our housecleaning chores. Margo cleans the bathroom; I vacuum and mop the floors; and Sarah cleans her room (a massive undertaking, to go by Sarah's resistance) and she often helps in the bathroom by scrubbing the tub, for which we pay her one pound each time.

Depending on the weather and our whims, we may lounge around reading the newspaper, or go on a road trip someplace nearby, or other activities. Many Sunday afternoons, if I'm downtown, I might find myself inexplicably in The Dove with a pint in front of me. If I'm home, I'll often have a pint or two with some snacks - crisps, peanuts, mixes. There's a TV series here named "Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps" and that's a pretty simple definition of happiness for me, especially on Sunday afternoons.

Margo likes to make a roast on Sundays - the Sunday Roast is an English tradition, and many pubs will serve it. After dishes, there might be something good on the telly, and that's our weekend pretty much sorted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home