Thursday, July 05, 2007

London Events

Today the Tour de France starts here in London. My office isn't very close to the route so I won't be seeing it in person, but it's still quite exciting.

Last night I walked across the London Bridge and along the Thames to the Design Museum. The exhibition on Iraqi architect Zaha Hadid featured much of what I'd already seen last summer at an exhibit at the Guggenheim in New York. Her work is so unique; to me, to view her work is to see the world differently. Her shapes are so different as to look alien, yet one still recognises a sense of balance and proper form in them. Frank Gehry has that same effect for me.

On my walk I also took in the Gibson Guitar Town artwork surrounding London City Hall, a collection of 10-foot fiberglass Gibson guitars decorated by artists and signed by famous guitarists. My favourites were the Gerald Scarfe painting for Ozzy Osbourne, and (of course) the Peter Saville design signed by Barney and Hooky from New Order.

I also had a stop for a pint at a pub I'd picked earlier, The Market Porter. Months ago I came across Fancy a Pint and have been using it to find great pubs in London.

Tomorrow the Live Earth concert begins. I won't be seeing it in person in London but I do plan to watch lots of it on the telly. I agree it's silly to have all these musicians jetting all over the planet to combat global warming, but I'll watch it for the same reasons I watched Band Aid and Live Aid and Live 8: it's inspiring to see all these musicians, many of whom I enjoy anyway, coming together for a noble cause.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home