Monday, April 30, 2007

My Sennheisers

If you're a discerning know-it-all audiophile like me, you'll have realised that the earbud headphones that come with iPods and the like are pretty much rubbish. Like listening to a cheap radio. And how does anyone keep them in their ears? Is there some kind of make-up glue involved? I can't so much as turn my head without one ending up dangling.

So being the cutting-edge techie guy that I am, I've considered shopping for a proper pair of ear-canal, noise-cancelling, hear-every-nuance-as-the-audio-engineers-intended-it pair. But you know what? I don't really need any.

Why? Because I brought My Sennheisers, that's why. Purchased twenty some years ago from a hifi shop on State Street in Madison, Wisconsin when I was a mostly-broke college student. Thirty-five dollars, I think. HD-40s. They came with yellow foam over the cans but they faded and shrank and were lost long ago. I put socks over them to play Half-Life on Margo's PC at night and she'd see me and laugh at me. Then I visited the foam store in Montavilla and got them well kitted out in fresh black foam and now I bring them with me every day. I am rocking on the train. I am rocking at my desk. I am rocking wherever I want to be.

In 1986 Run-DMC released a song about their favourite trainers called My Adidas. I would like to write a song about My Sennheisers. They've got bass. They've got good imaging. They've rocked me in many countries. They've rocked me for many years. They rocked me today and they will rock me tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home