Monday, January 22, 2007

Footie

I played football with some work mates this afternoon in London. I haven't played much at all, ever. I don't even like football. But it was good exercise and it was fun.

It all started last month at our company's Christmas party at a Belgian restaurant in Covent Garden. Whilst quaffing Trappist ales some of us were talking about favourite video games and one of my teammates waxed about FIFA 2007 and ultimately suggested we get a team together at the office. Last week the emails went around and we settled on a let's-see-how-it-goes game for today.

The day didn't start well. It was the start of a cold, scarf-and-gloves week, but it was also raining this morning, seemlingly right at the point where you'd expect it to snow. When I went out for lunch it was raining buckets. Fortunately it stopped early afternoon, and things dry here pretty quickly. But with an outdoor game, I was still wary of swimming in mud until my mates explained we'd be playing on artificial turf.

It was a long walk to the recreation centre but it served as a good warm-up as well as cool-down afterwards. In the locker room I was chagrined to see I'd forgotten to pack my trainers (I could use the that's-what-happens-when-you-get-up-at-5am excuse, but it's flimsy) so I borrowed a mate's as he'd brought in real spiked ones. Unfortunately, he's a size 7 and I'm probably a 12. My toes are still sore. Partway through I chucked the shoes and played in bare feet.

I think I did more good than harm. If you were to put a lamppost on the field and paint a smiley face on it ... I think my performance would have been a bit better. I was more effective at defense, since guarding is about the same as it is in basketball. I don't have much control of the ball in offense, so I played really conservatively. I did take a few goal attempts but fudged them all. I also got a turn as goalie, even wearing those padded gloves, which as cool. I blocked a few, once with my fists, but missed at least one - a sneaker sent after an interception just as we were sending the ball downfield and I wasn't paying attention. But it was kinda fun overall. My stamina held up for the full 45 minutes so I'm not feeling too out of shape. The bike is definitely helping there. But it's a good thing I have a day job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home